I hope that you all know 26th January is celebrated as the Republic Day every year because India acquired a written Constitution and became an independent Republic. As India gears up to celebrate 69 years of being a Republic Country on 26th January 2018, some points arises those will not only help you in preparation for your exams but it will also improve your awareness about the history of the nation.
Here is a quick look at some of interesting facts about one of the most important events in the country’s history.
- January 26 was earlier celebrated as India’s Independence Day or Purna Swaraj Day, when the Declaration of Independence was officially promulgated in 1930.
- However, in 1947, since August 15 became the official Independence Day, the Indian Constitution was adopted on day(26th Jan) in 1950, to mark the 1930 declaration.
- The original constitution of India was handwritten by Prem Behari Narain Raizada.
- The Constituent Assembly met for the first time in New Delhi on 9 December, 1946.
- During 1950-1954, Republic Day celebrations were organised at different venues(like Irwin Stadium, Kingsway, Red Fort and Ramlila Grounds). It was only starting 1955 when the parade in its present form was organised at Rajpath, New Delhi.
- On this day, ceremonious parades take place at the Rajpath, which are performed as a tribute to India; its unity in diversity and rich cultural heritage.
- Dr BR Ambedkar, former Chairman of the Constitution Committee – completed the first draft of India’s Constitution in about 2 years and 11 months. During this period, it held eleven sessions covering a total of 165 days.
- Before the Constitution came into force, India followed British Government’s Government of India Act,1935.
- Among other influences, fundamental duties were taken from the Constitution of USSR, Directive Principles of State Policy was taken from Ireland, concepts of Liberty, Equality and Fraternity from the French Constitution, and fundamental rights were taken from the USA.
- India has the longest written Constitution in the world with 448 articles in 22 Parts, 12 Schedules and 97 Amendments.’
- There are two hand-written copies of the Constitution — in Hindi and in English which are kept in helium-filled cases in the Parliament’s library.
- The calligraphy inside the book was done by Prem Behari Narain Raizda and published in Dehradun.
- The first Republic Day was celebrated on 26 January 1950, three years after we got independence.
- Republic Day Celebration are a 3-day long affair and end on 29 January with the Beating Retreat ceremony.
- The first R-Day parade at Rajpath was held in 1955.
- A Christian song, Abide With Me, is played at the Republic Day Parade. It is believed to be one of Mahatama Gandhi’s favourite songs.
- Indonesia’s President Sukarno was the first chief guest at the R-Day celebrations held on 26 January 1950.
- On the same day, the first President of India, Dr Rajendra Prasad took oath at Durbar Hall, New Delhi.
Read more articles….
|List of Public Sector Banks||Important Dam of India|
|Hydroelectric Power Plants In India||Thermal Power Plants in India|
|Wind Power Plants In India||Nuclear Power Plants In India|
|National Human Rights Commission of India|