Read Today’s Current Affairs 17 March 2018 In English
This post contains important current affairs 17 March 2018. It includes all Major National, International, Business and Sports related current affairs 17 March 2018. A brief explanation of every current affair is provided to further enhance your general knowledge.Current Affairs 17 March 2018 will give you the distinguish news and affairs.
1. India ranks 78th on WEF Energy Transition Index 2018
The World Economic Forum’s (WEF) released the report titled ‘Fostering Effective Energy Transition’, ranking 114 countries on how well they are able to balance energy security and access with environmental sustainability and affordability.
- The report’s Energy Transition Index ranked India at the 78th position.
- The Index was topped by Sweden.
- Rounding out the Top 10 were Finland (4th), Denmark (5th), the Netherlands (6th), the United Kingdom (7th), Austria (8th), France (9th).
- Among India’s emerging market peers, Brazil stood at the 38th place, Russia at 70th and China at 76th place..
2. President Ram Nath Kovind’s Odisha visit begins today
President Ram Nath Kovind will visit Odisha on March 17 to 18, 2018. This will be his first visit to the State as President of India.
- On March 17, 2018, the President will commence his engagements by paying tributes to Netaji Subhas Chandra Bose at his birthplace in Cuttack.
- Later, he will dedicate the Anand Bhawan Museum and Learning Centre – a memorial to the late Chief Minister Biju Patnaik – to the people of Odisha in Cuttack. On the same day, he will also deliver the third foundation day lecture at the National Law University, Cuttack.
- On March 18, 2018, the President will address the centenary celebrations of the Rashtriya Sanskrit Sansthan in Puri.
Source: DD News
3. NITI Aayog to Release SATH-E Roadmaps Tomorrow
NITI Aayog will release comprehensive roadmaps and detailed timelines for its initiative ‘Sustainable Action for Transforming Human Capital in Education (SATH-E)’ project at NITI Aayog tomorrow.
- These roadmaps, which operate between 2018 to 2020, lay out detailed interventions which will taken by the three participating States- Jharkand, Madhya Pradesh and Odisha – aiming to become ‘Role Model States’ in school education.
- These roadmaps present the first-of-its-kind, customized, action-oriented programmes, outlining interventions at the individual, district and State level.
- The roadmaps were jointly prepared by NITI Aayog, the three States and the knowledge partners of the SATH Initiatives, the Boston Consulting Group (BCG) and Piramal Foundation For Education Leadership (PFEL).
Source: Press Information Bureau
4. First India-Japan Workshop on Disaster Risk Reduction to begin on 19th March
India and Japan, two of the most disaster-prone countries in the world, are coming together to address disaster risk. Over a two-day workshop beginning here on Monday, 19th March, experts will discuss issues pertaining to Disaster Risk Reduction (DRR), especially earthquakes.
- Japan is situated along the Pacific Ring of Fire and is highly susceptible to earthquakes. Given itslong history of devastating earthquakes, Japan has a very high level of community awareness. Its technological know-how, especially in the area of earthquake risk reduction, is among the most advanced in the world.
- Aims to develop a specific bilateral Action Plan on areas of cooperation in DRR
Source: Press Information Bureau
5. Xi re-elected China President
Xi Jinping was today re-elected as President for a second five-year tenure by China’s rubber-stamp parliament.
- Originally Xi is set to retire by 2023 as head of the CPC, the military and Presidency following a two-term limit followed by his predecessors. He became president in 2013.
- Wang is the most feared official in China as he carried out the anti-corruption campaign for the past five years initiated by Xi in which over 1.5 million officials including over 100 ministers and top generals were punished making it the biggest such crackdown in China’s recent history.
Source: DD News
6. Sri Lanka Pays Tribute To J Dalmiya With Book ‘A Tribute To Jagu’
Sri Lanka Cricket (SLC) paid tribute to former BCCI president Jagmohan Dalmiya with a book titled, ‘A Tribute to Jagu’.
- The cricket association felicitated Dalmiya posthumously as the greatest non-Sri Lankan contributor to Sri Lankan cricket.
Source: The Hindustan Times
7. PMO approves new vehicle policy
The Prime Minister’s Office on Friday approved a policy that would make it mandatory to dispose of commercial vehicles that are over 20 years old from April 1, 2020.
- “A high-level meeting, chaired by Principal Secretary to the prime minister and comprising secretaries from different ministries in principle approved the vehicle scrapping policy today.
- The development follows Road, Transport and Highways Minister Nitin Gadkari‘s announcement that the Vehicles Scrapping Policy, aimed at curbing vehicular pollution, has almost been finalised.
- The meeting was attended by NITI Aayog CEO Amitabh Kant, Secretaries of Finance, Road, Transport and Highways, Heavy Industries and Steel departments, among others.
8. Muthoot Finance Ties Up With Global IME Bank
Muthoot Finance, the flagship company of Muthoot Group has tied up with Global IME Bank to expand its money remittance services between Indo Nepal Corridor. Muthoot Finance is the only NBFC to extend the money transfer services from India to Nepal.
- In FY16, Muthoot Finance had collaborated with Nepal based Prabhu Bank for money transfer business wherein the company completed 2.2 lakh transactions worth Rs 4.69 billion. With Global IME Bank, this is the company’s second tie-up in the region.
Source: Business Standard
9. Nepal Cricket Team Gains ODI Status
- Nepal defeated the Pacific nation by six wickets in a playoff game in the ICC World Cup Qualifier being held in Zimbabwe, achieving the distinction for the first time.
Source: The Times of India
10. Sindhu enters All England semifinals after thrilling win over Okuhara
Olympic silver medallist shuttler P V Sindhu produced a top-notched performance to eke out a thrilling three-game victory over 2016 champion Nozomi Okuhara of Japan to progress to her maiden semifinal at the USD 1000,000 All England Championship in Birminghamon Friday.
- With this victory, Sindhu registered her fifth win over the Nagano-born World No. 6 Japanese, who robbed her of a World Championship gold at Glasgow after a 110 minute marathon battle which went down in history as one of the greatest.
Source: DD News
11. Shakib, Nurul fined by ICC for separate incidents
Bangladesh captain Shakib Al Hasan was on Saturday fined 25 per cent of his match fees and handed a demerit point for “remonstrating” umpires’ decision during their Twenty20 match against Sri Lanka, in Colombo.
- Reserve player Nurul Hasan was also fined 25 per cent of his match fees and given one demerit point for breaching the ICC Code of Conduct in a separate incident.
Source: The Hindu
12. Novartis India MD Jawed Zia resigns
Novartis India today said its Vice Chairman and Managing Director Jawed Zia has decided to step down from the post.
- In India, the pharmaceutical business of Novartis India Ltd. is focused on bone and pain, calcium portfolio, gynaecology and neuroscience and the generic business is focused on gynaecology, anti-TB and anti-infectives.
Source: The Economics Times
“Thought of the Day”
“The one thing that you have that nobody else has is you. Your voice, your mind, your story, your vision.
So write and draw and build and play and dance and live as only you can.”
All the best for your exam
Read More Article…