List of Rivers In India -Ranges & Ghats | Origin, Length, Source, Cities
River plays an important role in the development of a country. India is blessed with many rivers. Some of them are sacred. They provides chief transportation, electricity, water for farming and are livelihood for the people of country. These are also culturally related such as holy Ganga. Each of the Indian rivers begin their journey at one of the three main watersheds.
Rivers In Ranges and Ghats
1). Himalaya and Karakoram Mountain Ranges (Northern India)
- Indus (Sindhu)
2). The Sahyadri or the Western Ghats (Western India)
3). Vindhya and Satpura Mountain Ranges (Central India)
Almost all the major Indian rivers end up joining the Bay of Bengal or the Arabean Sea.
|BRAHAMAPUTRA||2,900 KM||Assam, Arunachal Pradesh, Tibet|
|GANGA||2,525 KM||Uttarakhand, Uttar Pradesh, Bihar, Jharkhand, West Bengal|
|GODAVARI||1,465 KM||Maharashtra, Telangana, Chhattisgarh, Andhra Pradesh, Puducherry|
|KRISHNA||1,400 KM||Maharashtra, Karnataka, Telangana, Andhra Pradesh|
|YAMUNA||1,376 KM||Uttarakhand, Uttar Pradesh, Haryana|
|NARMADA||1,315 KM||Madhya Pradesh, Maharashtra, Gujarat|
|CHAMBAL||960 KM||Madhya Pradesh, Uttar Pradesh, Rajasthan|
|CHENAB||960 KM||Himachal Pradesh, Punjab|
|SON||784 KM||Madhya Pradesh, Uttar Pradesh, Jharkhand, Bihar|
|KAVERI||765 KM||Tamil Nadu|
|TAPTI||724 KM||Madhya Pradesh, Maharashtra, Gujarat|
|RAVI||720 KM||Himachal Pradesh, Punjab|
|BETWA||590 KM||Madhya Pradesh, Uttar Pradesh|
|INDUS||3180 KM||Gilgit-Baltistan, Jammu and Kashmir, Khyber Pakhtunkhwa, Punjab, Sindh, Tibet|
|DAMODAR||592 KM||Jharkhand, Bengal|
|BEAS||470 KM||Himachal Pradesh, Punjab|
|GHAGGAR||1080 KM||Himachal Pradesh, Rajasthan|
|Tugabhadra||531 KM||Karnataka, Andhra Pradesh, Telangana|
|Sharda||350 KM||Uttarakhand, Uttar Pradesh|
|Vaigai||258 KM||Tamil Nadu|
|Benas||512 KM||Rajasthan, Uttar Pradesh|
|Mahananda||360 KM||West Bengal, Bihar|
|Periyar||244 KM||Kerala, Tamil Nadu|
|Mahi||580 KM||Madhya Pradesh, Vindhyas|
|Sabarmati||371 KM||Aravalli Range, Udaipur|
|Teesta||309 KM||Sikkim, West Bengal, Rangpur, Bangladesh|
|Indravati||535 KM||Odisha, Chattisgarh, Maharashtra|
|BHIMA||861 KM||Maharashtra, Karnataka, Telangana|
|Subarnarek||395 KM||Jharkhand, Odisha, West Bengal|
|RAMGANGA||596 KM||Uttarakhand, Uttar Pradesh|
|PEENA||597 KM||Andhra Pradesh, Karnataka|
Source and Destination of Major Indian River
There are source and destination of major Indian rivers given. Please check in below table form.
|GANGA||Combined Sources||Bay of Bengal|
|YAMUNA||Garhwall in Yamunotri, Champasar Glacier||Ganga|
|BRAHMAPUTRA||Lake Manasarovar||Bay of Bengal|
|MAHANADI||Amarkantak Plateau||Bay of Bengal|
|GODAVARI||Brahmagiri Mountain, Tryambakeshwar , Nasik Hills||Bay of Bengal|
|KRISHNA||Near Mahabaleshwar in Maharashtra||Bay of Bengal|
|NARMADA||Amarkantak hill in Madhya Pradesh||Arabian sea|
|INDUS||In Tibet Kalish Range 5080 mts||Arabian sea|
|DAMODAR||Hoogly River, Howrah||Chota Nagpur plateau|
|HUGLI||Ganga||Bay of Bengal|
|GHAGGAR||Shivalik Hills, Himachal Pradesh||Indus|
|KAVERI||Hills of Coorg, Karnataka||Bay of Bengal|
|JEHLAM||Pir Panjal Range||Chenab|
|CHENAB||Panjnad||Jammu and Kashmir|
|BETWA||Vindhya Range||Rajghat Dam|
|GOMTI||Gomat Taal||Saidpur, Ghazipur|
Notes on some Indian Rivers
1. River Ganga
- It is 2525 KM long.
- It flows from Uttrakhand, Utter Pradesh (UP), Bihar, Jharkhand and ends in West Bengal.
- River Ganga Orginates from Gangotri Glacier at Gomukh.
- It joins the river Alaknanda At Deyprayag.
- The Tributaries of River Ganga is Ramganga, Kosi, Gomati,Ghagra Koshi and Gandak.
2. River Yamuna
- River Yamuna Orginates at Yamnotri and joins Ganga at Allahabad.
- It is the longest river in India which does not directly flow into the sea.
- Tributaries of Rives Yamuna are Chambal.
3. River Indus
- It is 3180 KM long.
- It orginates in the western part of Tibet.
- It passes through Jammu & Kashmir and before joining residency it passes through Pakistan.
- Tributaries of river Indus is Sutlej (Orginates in Raksha Sathal Lake in Tibet ) and shyok.
4. River Brahmaputra
- It flows through China, India and Bangladesh.
- It is 3848 KM long.
- It is called Tsangpo is Tibet and
- It orginates on the Chemyungdung Glacier (Located on the northern side of Himalaya ).
- It enters in India through the State Arunachal Pradesh, Assam, In bangladesh it is joined by the river Teesta.
- Tributaries of River Brahmaputra is Dubri, Subanshi, Meghna and Lohit.
5. River Mahanadi
- It orginates in Chattisgarh and Odisha.
- Tributaries of River Mahanadi is Sednath, Mand, Ong and Tel.
6. River Godawari
- It has source at Trimbakeshwar.
- Tributaries of River Godawari is Parvara, Puma, Wangange, Manjra and Indravati
7. River Krishna
- It orginates at Mahabaleshwar
- The main tributaries of river Krishna are Bhima, Tungbhadra, Ghatprabha and Malabrabha.
8. River Kaveri
- It is 765 KM long.
- It orginates from talkavedi in Karnataka.
- Tributaries of river Kaveri is Heemavati , Bhawani , Noyal, Amravati and Shimsha.
9. River Periyar
- This river is 244 KM Long.
- It flows through Kerala.
10. River Narmada
- This river is 1312 KM Long.
- It orginates from markantak Plateau (Near Maikal Range ).
- It lies between two mountain region Vindhya Range and Satpuda Range.
- It Passes thorough State Madhya Pradesh.
- Tributaries of river Narmada are Burhner, Banjar, Sher, Shakkar, Tawa, Kolar and Orsang.
11. River Tapti
- It orginates from Mahadeo Hill.
- It is 724 KM Long.
- Tributaries of River Tapti is Purna, Girna, Panjra.
12. River Loni
- It orginates from Aravali Range
13. River Sabarmati
- It also Orginates from Aravali Range.
MCQ Questions on Rivers
Q1. Which river is also known as River of Lahore?
Ans : D. Ravi
Q2. Which river joins Ganga at Allahabad?
Ans : A. Yamuna
Q3. On which river Ajmer is stated?
Ans : D. Luni
Q4. Which cities are located on the bank of river?
A. Fatehpur, Kanpur, Bhagalpur, Uttarkashi, Haridwar
B. Ajmer, Kanpur, Bhagalpur, Uttarkashi, Haridwar
C. Fatehpur, Kanpur, Bhagalpur, Patna, Haridwar
D. Fatehpur, Kanpur, Bhagalpur, Uttarkashi, Dehradun
Ans. A. Fatehpur, Kanpur, Bhagalpur, Uttarkashi, Haridwar
Q5. Ayodhya is situated on the bank of which river ?
Ans. A. Saryu
Q6. Which is the longest river in India?
Ans. A. Ganga
Q7. Which is known as “the twin” of Narmada?
A. The Luni
B. The Mahi
C. The Tapi
D. The Sabarmati
Ans. C. Tapi
Q8. The river Godavari flows for the distance of
A. 1200 KM
B. 1890 KM
C. 1450 KM
D. 2250 KM
Ans. C. 1450 KM
List of Indian Rivers and their origin pdf download
Candidates can download the list of Indian rivers and their origin pdf by clicking on below link.
List of Indian Rivers and their origin pdf download
All the best for your upcoming exam!
You can join or visit at Facebook Page or Twitter for always keep in touch with further updates.
Read more articles….