UPSC CDS Recruitment 2020 Notification – Apply Online Now
Union Public Service Commission (UPSC) has announced UPSC CDS 2 on its official website. Application Process for CDS 2 has already begun at website upsc.gov.in. Aspirants who want to get jobs in defence services through courses carried out by IMA, INA, AFA and OTA can apply online now for the CDS 2 2020 Exam.
UPSC is usually conduct the exams biannually in Feb & Sep (This year in November) for official cadre recruitment in Army. UPSC released notification to recruit 418 officers for the courses carried out by the Indian Military Academy (IMA), Indian Naval Academy (INA), Air Force Academy (AFA) and Officers Training Academy (OTA) through the UPSC CDS Recruitment 2020.
- Indian Military Academy (IMA) Dehradun,
- Air Force Academy (AFA) Hyderabad,
- Indian Naval Academy (INA) Ezhimala,
- Officers Training Academy (OTA) Chennai (113th SSC Men NT & 27th SSC Women NT).
In CDS Exam, there will be three sections – General Knowledge, Elementary Maths and English Language from where questions asked.
UPSC CDS 2020 Important Dates
|Release of Notification & Start Date of Online Registration||5 Aug 2020|
|Last date of online application||25 Aug 2020|
|Exam Date||8 Nov 2020|
|Admit Card Release Date
UPSC CDS 2020 Vacancies
UPSC has notified a total of 344 vacancies under CDS Examination 2020.
|Indian Military Academy (IMA), Dehradun, 151 (DE) Course commencing in July 2021||100|
|Indian Naval Academy (INA), Ezhimala—commencing in July 2021 Executive (General Service)/Hydro||26|
|Air Force Academy (AFA) —(Pre-Flying), Training Course commencing in July 2021||32|
|Officers Training Academy (OTA), Chennai (Madras)
113th SSC (Men) Course (NT) commencing in October 2021
|Officers Training Academy Non-Technical (Female)
27th SSC Women (Non-Technical) Course commencing in October 2021
Note: The number of vacancies is tentative and can be changed at any stage by Services H.Q.
UPSC CDS 2020 Eligibility Criteria, Age Limit, Relaxation
|Institution||Age Limit||Eligibility||Marital Status|
|Indian Military Academy||19 to 24 years||Bachelor’s degree from a recognized university||Unmarried|
|Air Force Academy||19 to 23 years||B.E/B.Tech from a recognized university OR Degree from a recognized university with Physics & Mathematics as subjects||Unmarried|
|Indian Naval Academy||19 to 22 years||B.E/B.Tech from a recognized university or equivalent||Unmarried|
|Officers Training Academy||19 to 25 years||Bachelor’s degree from a recognized university or equivalent||Unmarried|
|Officers Training Academy (SSC Women Non-Technical Course)||19 to 25 years||Bachelor’s degree from a recognized||Unmarried, issueless widows and issueless divorcees who have not remarried|
Note: Aspirants must be physically fit as per the UPSC physical standards for admission to Combined Defence Services Examination II 2020.
- Candidates must be citizens of India.
- Subjects of Bhutan, Nepal, and Tibetan refugee who came to India before the 1 January 1962
- A person of India origin who migrated from Pakistan, Burma, Sri Lanka, East African Countries of Kenya, Uganda, Tanzania, Zambia, Malawi, Zaire and Ethiopia or Vietnam with the intention of permanently settling in India.
- Candidates will have to produce Certificate issued by Indian authorities certifying their claim.
UPSC CDS 2020 Online Application Process
- Firstly, visit UPSC official website – www.upsconline.nic.in.
- Click on Part 1 registration to open the CDS Registration Form.
- Enter the required details: candidate’s name, Date of Birth, parents’ name, address, category, mobile number, email address and other basic details.
- A message will be sent to your mobile number and email address. It will contain the candidate’s registration number and password.
- Now also do registration on second part.
CDS Application Fees
CDS Application Fees can be paid both online and offline.
General/ OBC/ EWS
Female (All Categories)
To pay online mode: Application Fees can be paid in online mode via Debit/ Credit/Master/Visa Card or SBI Netbanking. If you are paying online, take a print out of the payment receipt for future reference.
To pay by cash: candidates will generate bank challan during the CDS registration process and submit the same along with the fees at any SBI bank whichever branch they prefer.
CDS Application Form Filling
- Candidates must complete their application procedure by mentioning the personal details and academic details.
- Every candidate has to choose their preference for the positions among IAF, IMA, INA, and OTA.
- Select CDS Exam Centre as per your preference. This will be considered as your most preferred venue for the written test.
Note : fill the application form very carefully. No further correction will be allowed once the form is submitted.
Upload CDS Photo, Signature, and Photo ID Proof
Photograph – 20 – 300 Kbs (Size) – 350×350 – 1000×1000(Pixels) – 24 (Bit) in JPEG format.
Signature – 20 – 300 Kbs (Size) – 350×350 – 1000×1000(Pixels) – 24 (Bit) in JPEG format.
Photo Id Card – 20 – 300 Kbs (Size) in PDF format
Other than the mentioned documents, candidates have to mention several documents as proof:
- Matriculation and Degree Certificates.
- Any Valid ID proof ( Adhaar card/ Voter ID/ PAN card/Driving license/ Passport)
UPSC CDS 2020 Selection Process
Selection process for CDS 2 consists of two stages.
- Stage I: Written Examination
- Stage II: Interview
Aspirants who qualify Stage I will be allowed to appear for Stage-II examination. Candidates who qualify both the stages need to undergo Medical Examination before being recruited in the UPSC.
CDS 2020 Syllabus and Exam Pattern
CDS syllabus and Exam pattern are different for IMA, INA, AFA, and OTA. The written test is a one-day exam, it is quite a long procedure. Candidates applying for IMA, INA, and AFA give the test of 6 hours containing 300 marks whereas the OTA applicants give 4 hours of exam containing 200 marks.
UPSC CDS 2020 Exam Pattern
The CDS II 2019 will be conducted in pen and paper mode. The exam will be conducted in two sessions – Morning and Forenoon.
Each below section has 120 minutes.
|Subjects||No. of questions (MCQs)||Max. Marks|
Note: Aspirants who have applied for IMA, AFA and NA have to attend all the above 3 papers, while OTA Candidates have to appear for the first 2 paper only – General Knowledge & English. There will be Negative Marking of 1/3rd marks for wrong answers marked by a candidate.
UPSC CDS Syllabus 2020
|English||General Knowledge||Elementary Mathematics|
|Questions will test candidates’ understanding of English and vocabulary.||Current events
UPSC CDS Cut off Marks
Candidates must score the Cutoff marks to qualify the CDS exam. Cut Off is generally declared after the announcement of results. Check here previous year exam cut off.
|Academy Courses||Written Exam||Final Score|
|Indian Military Academy||102||225|
|Indian Naval Academy||109||225|
|Air Force Academy||129||264|
|Officers Training Academy (Male)||86||168|
|Officers Training Academy (Female)||86||172|
UPSC CDS Result 2020
Aspirants who would score minimum cut off marks or the minimum qualifying marks will be declared as Pass in UPSC CDS Exam 2020.
CDS SSB Interview 2020
After qualifying written exam, candidates would be called for UPSC CDS Interview. Interview involves 2 stages of intelligence and personality test.
- Stage 1 consists of Officer Intelligence Rating, Picture Perception and Description Test.
- Stage 2 involves Interview, Group Testing Officer Task, Psychology Test and Conference.
Interview for CDS SSB is a 4-day long process. Aspirants are judged physically, mentally and psychologically in interview round.
CDS Officer Salary Post-wise
Aspirants who qualify the CDS exam will get stipend during the training days. They will be entitled to fixed Stipend of Rs 21000. However, their respective pay scale will be as follows:
Salary of Officers from CDS
|Captain (Level 10 B)||6,13,00 -1,93,900|
|Lieutenant (Level 10)||56,100 – 1,77,500|
|Lieutenant Colonel (Level 12A )||1,21,200 – 2,12400|
|Major (Level 11)||6,94,00 – 2,07,200|
|Brigadier (Level 13A )||1,39,600 – 2,17,600|
|Colonel Level 13||1,30,600 – 2, 15, 900|
|Lieutenant General HAG Scale (Level 15)||1, 82, 200 – 2,24,100|
|Major General (Level 14)||1,44,200 – 2,18,200|
|VCOAS/Army Cdr/Lieutenant General (NFSG) (Level 17)||2,25,000 (fixed)|
|HAG+Scale (Level 16) – 2,05,400||2,24,400|
|COAS (Level 18)||2,50,000 (fixed)|
|Military Service Pay (MSP) to the officers from the rank of Lieutenant to Brigadier||Rs 15.500 p.m. fixed|
Read more articles….