List of Renamed Airports & Railway Stations, Govt. Schemes, Cities| Renamed places in India
Government has changed the existing name of places, airports, railway stations, and govt schemes on the name of some big and inspired leaders or any others.
List of Renamed Railway Stations
|Old Name of Railway Station||New Name||Name of State (Changed Since)|
|Habibganj railway station||Atal Bihari Vajpayee Station||Madhya Pradesh|
|Mughalsarai Junction||Pt. Deen Dayal Upadhyaya Junction||Uttar Pradesh (2018)|
|Bangalore City||Krantivira Sangolli Rayanna||Karnataka (2015)|
|Oshiwara||Ram Mandir||Maharashtra (2015)|
|Elphinstone Road||Prabha Devi||Maharashtra (2016)|
|Manduadih||Banaras Railway Station||Uttar Pradesh (2018)|
|Robertsganj railway station||Sonbhadra||Uttar Pradesh (2019)|
|Gulbarga railway station||Kalaburagi||Karnataka (2019)|
|Panki railway station||Panki Dham||Kanpur, Uttar Pradesh (2019)|
|Tilda railway station||Tilda-Neora||Raipur, Chhattisgarh (2019)|
|bhopal rail metro||raja bhoj metro||Madhya Pradesh|
List of Renamed Airport
|Old Name||New Name||State Name|
|Deoghar Airport||Atal Bihari Vajpayee Airport||Jharkhand|
|Agartala Airport||Maharaja Bir Bikram Airport||Tripura (2018)|
|Chhatrapati Shivaji Airport||Chhatrapati Shivaji Maharaj International Airport (CSMIA)||Mumbai (2016)|
||Mahayogi Gorakhnath Airport||Uttar Pradesh (2017)|
|Bangalore International Airport (BIA)
||Bengaluru Nadaprabhu Kempegowda International Airport||Bengaluru, Karnataka (2013)|
|Indian Air Force Airport, Agra||Pandit Deen Dayal Upadhyay Airport||Agra, U.P. (2017)|
List of Renamed Govt Schemes
|Original Name||New Name|
|Basic Savings Bank Deposit Account||Jan Dhan Yojana|
|National Girl Child Day Program||Beti Bachao, Beti Padhao Yojana|
|National Optic Fibre Network||Bharat Net|
|National Rural Livelihood Mission||Deen Dayal Upadhyaya Grameen Kaushalya Yojana|
|Universal Immunisation Programme||Mission Indradhanush|
|National Skill Development Programme||Skill India|
|National e-governance Plan||Digital India|
|National Manufacturing Policy||Make In India|
|Jan Aushadhi scheme||Pradhan Mantri Jan Aushadhi Yojana|
|Direct Benefits Transfer for LPG||PAHAL|
|Rashtriya Krishi Vikas Yojana||Paramparagat Krishi Vikas Yojana|
|National Project on Management of Soil Health and Fertility||Soil Health Card scheme|
|Nirmal Bharat Abhiyan||Swachh Bharat Mission|
|Rajiv Awas Yojana||Sardar Patel National Mission for Urban Housing|
|Indira Awaas Yojana||Pradhan Mantri Gramin Awaas Yojana|
|Swavalamban Yojana||Atal Pension Yojana|
|Rajiv Grameen Vidyutikaran Yojana||Deen Dayal Upadhyay Gram Jyoti Yojana|
|Jawaharlal Nehru National Urban Renewal Mission||Atal Mission for Rejuvenation and Urban Transformation|
|Bhamasha Swasthya Bima Yojna||Bhamashah Suraksha Kawach Yojana (2018)|
List of Renamed Cities
|Old Name of City||New Name of City||State Name (Changed Since)|
|Jubbulpore||Jabalpur||Madhya Pradesh (1956)|
|Cawnpore||Kanpur||Uttar Pradesh (1948)|
|Simla||Shimla||Himachal Pradesh (1948)|
|Tanjore||Thanjavur||Tamil Nadu (1948)|
|Benares||Varanasi||Uttar Pradesh (1956)|
|Trichinapoly||Tiruchirapalli||Tamil Nadu (1971)|
|Waltair||Vishakhapatnam||Andhra Pradesh (1987)|
|Madras||Chennai||Tamil Nadu (1996)|
|Calcutta||Kolkata||West Bengal (2001)|
|Pondicherry||Puducherry||Union Territory (2006)|
|Allahabad||Prayagraj||Uttar Pradesh (2018)|
|New Raipur||Atal Nagar||Chattisgarh (2018)|
|Arikkod||Areekode||Malappuram, Kerala (2019)|
|Laxman Garh||Adawala||Rajasamand, Rajasthan (2019)|
|Landgewadi||Narsinhagaon||Sangali, Maharashtra (2019)|
|Samphur||Sanphure||Kiphire, Nagaland (2019)|
|Pindari||PanduPindara||Jind, Haryana (2019)|
|Ismailpur||Pichanwa Khurd||Jhunjhunu, Rajasthan (2019)|
|Miyon Ka Bara||Maheshnagar||Barmer, Rajasthan (2019)|
|Narpara||Narpura||Jalore, Rajasthan (2019)|
|Kalloor Vadakkum Muri||Kadukutty||Trichur, Kerala (2019)|
|Nagar Untari||Shri Banshidhar Nagar||Jharkhand (2019)|
|Nakti||Nayanpur||Satna, Madhya Pradesh (2019)|
|Pallikkara II||Kottikulam||Kasaragod, Kerala (2019)|
|Rasuiya Bhatan||Radheynagar||Chhatarpur, Madhya Pradesh (2019)|
|Birshingpur Pali||Maa Birasini Dham||Umaria, Madhya Pradesh (2019)|
|Todi Kheri||Sarna Kheri||Jind, Haryana (2019)|
|Nagewadi||Nagnathnagar||Sangli, Maharashtra (2019)|
|Khizrabad||Pratap Nagar||Yamunanagar, Haryana (2019)|
Some of the approved name changes proposals are given below.
- Samphur as Sanphure in Kiphire district of Nagaland.
- Arikkod as Areekode in Malappura district of Kerala
- Outer Wheeler as APJ Abdul Kalam Island, situated in Bhadrak district of Odisha
- Rajahmundry as Rajamahendravaram in East Godavari district of Andhra Pradesh
289 KM long Bundelkhand Expressway is named Atal Path.
Hazratganj chauk named as Atal Chauk (2019).
- Sahibganj harbor as Atal Bihari Vajpayee (2018).
- Kandla port as Deendayal Port in Gujarat.
- Sabarmati Ghat as Atal Bihari Vajpayee.
Other renaming proposals approved by the ministry include
- Approval was also given to add the word “Maharaj” in Mumbai’s iconic Chhatrapati Shivaji Terminus. It is now known as Chhatrapati Shivaji Maharaj Terminus.
- Shukratal Khadar as Sukhtirth Khadar and Shukratal Bangar as Sukhtirth Bangar in Muzaffarnagar district in Uttar Pradesh.
- Garhi Sampla as Ch. Sir Chhotu Ram Nagar in Rohtak district of Haryana
- Landgewadi to Narsinhagaon in Sangali district of Maharashtra
- Mihgawan Chhakka and Mihgawan Tilia as Mihgawan Sarkar and Mihgawan Ghat respectively in Panna district of Madhya Pradesh.
- Khatu Kalan village as Bari Khatu in Nagour district of Rajasthan
- Feroz Shah Kotla Stadium as Arun Jaitley Stadium is a cricket stadium located at Bahadur Shah Zafar Marg, New Delhi.
- Bogibeel bridge as Atal Setu in Assam (2018).
- Rohtang tunnel as Atal Tunnel in Himachal Pradesh (2020)
- In the past, we also saw the iconic Connaught Place of New Delhi getting its name changed to Rajiv Chowk and the Port Blair Airport of the Andaman & Nicobar Islands changing to Veer Savarkar International Airport.
- Gurgaon of the National Capital Region got changed to “Gurugram”.
- Race Course Road got changed to “Lok Kalyan Marg”.
- New Delhi’s Aurangzeb Road was changed to “Dr. A P J Abdul Kalam Road”