SSC CGL TIER 2 Syllabus
Hi Aspirants, Staff Selection Commission has released the the exam date for SSC CGL Tier 2 2018-19. So now is the time for you to start preparing for the Tier 2 exam. Here is the detailed SSC CGL Syllabus for Tier 2 Exam 2018-19.
This page will provide you the entire syllabus, chapters, sub-topics, weightage, mark-distribution for the questions etc.
|Application start Date||5th May 2019|
|Last date for registration||4th June 2019|
|SSC CGL Tier-I Exam||4th to 19th Jun 2019|
|SSC CGL Tier-II Exam(CBE)||11 to 13 Sep, 2019|
|SSC CGL Tier-III Exam(DES)||29 Dec, 2019|
|SSC CGL Tier-IV Exam||Jan,2020 (SKILL)|
|SSC CGL 2019 Online Application||5th May to 4th Jun 2019|
|Online Paper for SSC CGL 2018||4th to 19th Jun 2019|
Total No of Vacancies : 8089
SSC CGL 2017 Exam Pattern
|Tier – I||Objective Multiple Choice||Computer Based(Online)|
|Tier – II||Objective Multiple Choice||Computer Based (online)|
|Tier – III||Descriptive Paper in English/Hindi||Pen and Paper mode|
|Tier – IV||Skill Test/Computer Proficiency Test||Wherever Applicable|
- Tier-I and Tier-II are compulsory for all jobs while Paper-III and Paper-IV are for some specific post.
- Tier-III is only for the post of “Statistical Investigator Gr. II” & “Compiler”.
- Tier-IV is only for the post of “Assistant Audit Officer”.
- The marks obtained by the candidates in Tier-I and Tier-II , together would determine the eligibility of the candidates to appears in Tier-III and Tier-IV of the CGL Exam.
- There is negative marking in SSC CGL 2017 Tier 2 exam. Giving a wrong answer of the question will lead to a penalty of 0.5 marks in Tier-I, Tier-III, Tier-IV and 0.25 as well as 0.50 marks in Tier-II.
- Questions in Tier I will be of 10th standard level and Tier-II will be have of 10+2 level and Tier-III, Tier-IV will be have of graduation level.
- The final merit of the successful candidates will depends on the total score obtained by them in Tier I, Tier II and Tier III exams.
- Tier III paper will comprise of questions based on Essay/Passage and Letter/Application writing.
- Tier IV exam will be of qualifying nature only.
- Tier II of the examination consists of 4 papers in total.
- Duration of each paper is 2 hours.
SSC CGL Syllabus For Tier II Exam
SSC CGL Syllabus for Tier II Paper 1 – Quantitative Aptitude
(1) Number Series
Expected Weightage: 0-2 Questions
Question Types: Complete the Series, Find the Missing Term, Find the Wrong Term etc.
(2) Number System
Expected Weightage: 6-8 Questions
Question Types: Divisibility & Remainder, Multiples & Factors, Integers, LCM & HCF.
Expected Weightage: 3-6 Questions
Question Types: BODMAS Rule, Approximation, Decimals, Fractions, Surds & Indices, Percentages etc.
Expected Weightage: 5-9 Questions
Question Types: Questions on Identities and Functions, Linear Equations in One and Two or more Variables.
Expected Weightage: 5-6 Questions
Question Types: Average Weight/Height/Age/Marks, Average Money Expenditure, Average Temperature etc. But the concept remains simple. We have to use a single formula i.e. Average = Sum of Quantities/Number of Quantities
Expected Weightage: 1-4 Questions
Question Types: Calculation-oriented basic percentage.
Study Materials : Percentage Formula and Rules
(7) Ratio & Proportion
Expected Weightage: 1-6 Questions
Question Types: Simple Ratios, Compound Ratios, Componendo and Dividendo, Direct & Indirect Proportions.
Expected Weightage: 4-5 Questions
Question Types: Simple Interest, Compound Interest, Mixed Interest, Installments.
(9) Profit & Loss
Expected Weightage: 9-14 Questions
Question Types: Successive Selling type questions, Partnerships, Discount & MP, Dishonest Dealings, Sales Tax, Mixture Problems.
(10) Time & Work
Expected Weightage: 6-7 Questions
Question Types: Work Efficiency, Work & Wages, Pipes & Cisterns, etc.
(11) Time, Speed & Distance
Expected Weightage: 4-6 Questions
Question Types: Relative Speed, Average Speed, Problems on Train, Boat & Stream.
(12) Mixtures & Alligations
Expected Weightage: 1-4 Questions
Question Types: Mixture of two or more entities/mixtures, dishonest dealings.
Expected Weightage: 10-13 Questions
Question Types: Area/Volume of Square, Rectangle, Trapezium, Parallelogram, Rhombus, Circle, Semicircle, Triangle, Cone, Cylinder, Cube, Cuboid. Also, Moulding from one shape to another etc.
Expected Weightage: 12-18 Questions
Question Types: Lines and Angles, Triangles (Centres, Congruence, Similarity), Circles (Chords, Tangents, Segments), Quadrilaterals, Coordinate Geometry (Graphical representation of straight lines and Applications based on Coordinate Systems)
Expected Weightage: 7-10 Questions
Question Types: Trigonometric Ratios and Identities, Maximum and Minimum Values of Trigonometric functions, Circular Measures of Angles, Heights and Distances
(16) Data Interpretation
Expected Weightage: 5-7 Questions
Question Types: Line Graphs, Bar Graphs, Pie Charts, Tables, Miscellaneous Infographics, Missing Data Type Caselets.
SSC CGL Syllabus for Tier II Paper 2 – English Language
(1) Verbal Ability (Para Jumbles and/or Sentence Jumbles)
Expected Weightage: 20 Questions
Level : Easy, Low to Moderately Time Consuming, High Accuracy possible.
Question Types: Para Jumbles and/or sentence jumbles.
(2) Grammar (Error Spotting, Phrase Replacement, Fill in the Blanks)
Expected Weightage: 12-15 Qs – Phrase replacement, 20 Qs – Error Spotting, 2-3 Qs – Fill in the blanks.
Level : Easy to Moderate in Difficulty, Less to Moderately Time Consuming, Moderate Accuracy Possible.
Question Types: Error Spotting, Phrase Replacement/ Sentence Correction, Fill in the Blanks.
Topics Covered: Tenses, Articles, Prepositions, Subject Verb Agreement, Parallelism, Degrees of Comparison, Sentence Construction, Phrasal Verbs, Pronouns, Adverbs, Non-Finite Verbs, Common Errors etc.
Study Materials : Pronoun and Its Type with Examples
(3) Vocabulary (Cloze Test, Fill in the Blanks, Error Spotting, Phrase Replacement, Synonym/antonyms, etc.)
Expected Weightage: 10-12 Qs – Phrase Replacement, 2-3 Qs – Error Spotting, 3-4 Qs – Fill in the blanks, 6-7Qs – Synonym/antonym, 10 Qs – Phrase/idiom meaning, 3-4 Qs – Spellings, 12 Qs – One Word Substitution
Level : Easy to Moderate Difficulty, Quick Solve based on Contextual usage, Moderate to High Accuracy possible.
Question Types: Error Spotting, Phrase Replacement, Cloze Test (single passage with 5-10 questions), Fill in the Blanks (Double Blanks).
(4) Active Passive Voice and Direct Indirect Speech
Expected Weightage: 20 Qs – Active Passive Voice, 27-30 Qs – Direct Indirect Speech
Level : Easy to moderate, Tricky questions, High Accuracy Possible
Question Types: Converting of voice and speech
(5) Reading Comprehension
Expected Weightage: 30 Questions (2-4 Passages)
Level : Tougher than Tier-I RC, More Time Consuming than Tier-I RC, Moderate Accuracy Possible.
Question Types: The passage will focus on topics like moral stories, economy, business, social issues, etc. Fact and Inference based questions – easy to moderate, Vocab & Theme based questions – easy to moderate.
SSC CGL Syllabus for Tier II Paper 3 – Statistics
You have to appear for Paper 3 only if you have applied for the post of Statistical Investigator (now known as Junior Statistical Officer. The exam will carry 200 marks and comprise 100 questions. Each question would carry two marks and 0.50 marks would be deducted for each wrong answer. This paper would be based on graduation level questions from the following topics:
Collection and Representation of Data: Methods of data collection, frequency distributions, etc.
Measures of Central Tendency: Common measures – mean, median and mode, Partition Values – quartiles, deciles & percentiles.
Measures of Dispersion: Measures of relative dispersion, Common measures – range, quartile deviations, standard deviation & mean deviation.
Moments, Skewness and Kurtosis: Meaning and different Measures of skewness and kurtosis; Different types of moments and their relationship.
Correlation and Regression: Scatter diagram, Simple correlation coefficient, Simple regression lines, Spearman’s rank correlation, Measures of association of attributes, Multiple regression, Multiple and partial correlation (For three variables only).
Probability Theory: Meaning and different definitions of Probability, Compound Probability, Conditional Probability, Independent events and Bayes’ Theorem.
Random Variable and Probability Distributions: Random variable, Probability functions, Expectation and Variance of a random variable, Higher moments of a random variable, Binomial, Poisson, Normal and Exponential distributions, Joint distribution of two random variable (discrete).
Sampling Theory: Concept of population and sample; Parameter and statistics, Sampling and non-sampling errors; Probability and non-probability sampling techniques (simple random sampling, stratified sampling, multistage sampling, multiphase sampling, cluster sampling, systematic sampling, purposive sampling, convenience sampling and quota sampling); Sampling distribution (statement only); Sample size decisions.
Statistical Inference: Point estimation and interval estimation, Properties of a good estimator, Methods of estimation (Moments method, Maximum likelihood method, Least squares method), Testing of hypothesis, Basic concept of testing, Small sample and large sample tests, Tests based on Z, t, Chi-square and F statistic, Confidence intervals.
Analysis of Variance: Analysis of 0ne way & two way classified data.
Time Series Analysis: Components of time series, Determinations of trend component by different methods, Measurement of seasonal variation by different methods.
Index Numbers: Meaning of Index Numbers, Problems in the construction of index numbers, Types of index number, Different formulae, Base shifting and splicing of index numbers, Cost of living Index Numbers, Uses of Index Numbers.
SSC CGL Syllabus for Tier II Paper 4 – General Awareness
If you have applied for the post of Assistant Audit Officer (AAO)/Assistant Accountant Officer then only you have to appear for Paper-4. The paper would comprise two parts: Finance & Accounts, and Economics & Governance. Following are the topics that are covered under SSC CGL Syllabus for Tier II General Awareness section.
Chapter A – Finance and Accounting
- Fundamental principles and basic concept of Accounting.
- Financial Accounting: Nature and scope, Limitations of Financial Accounting, Basic concepts and Conventions, Generally Accepted Accounting Principles.
- Basic concepts of accounting: Single and double entry, Bank Reconciliation, ledgers, Journal, Books of original Entry, Rectification of Errors, Trial Balance, Trading, Profit & loss Appropriation Accounts, Manufacturing, Balance Sheet Distinction between Capital and Revenue Expenditure, Depreciation Accounting, Valuation of Inventories, Receipts and Payments and Income & Expenditure Accounts, Non-profit organisations Accounts, Bills of Exchange, Self Balancing Ledgers.
Chapter B – Economics and Governance
- Comptroller & Auditor General of India: Constitutional provisions, Roles and responsibilities.
- Finance Commission: Role and functions.
- Basic Concept of Economics and introduction to Micro Economics, Central problems of an economy and Production possibilities curve and Methods of economic study.
- Theory of Demand and Supply, Elasticity, Price, Income and cross elasticity, Theory of consumer’s behaviour-Marshallian approach and Indifference curve approach, meaning and determinants of supply, Law of supply and Elasticity of Supply.
- Theory of Production and cost Meaning and Factors of production, Laws of production – Law of variable proportions 22 and Laws of returns to scale.
- Forms of Market and price determination in different markets.
- Indian Economy, Population, Poverty, Unemployment, Growth, Infrastructure, etc.
- Economic Reforms in India since 1991; Liberalisation, Privatisation, Globalisation and Disinvestment.
- Money and Banking.
- Role of Information Technology in Governance.
Our AffairsGuru Team hope that this detailed SSC CGL Syllabus for Tier II will help you most for understanding the nature and pattern of Tier II exam. If there is anything that you want to ask, or any topic that you want to add to this syllabus, then please comment below.
Thank you and All the best!!