List of Vice Presidents of India PDF Download – From Independence to Till Now (1947 – 2026)
The Vice President occupies the 2nd highest office in the country after President. The office of Vice-President of India modelled on the lines of America Vice President.
Article 63 of Indian Constitution deals with that there shall be a vice President of India.
Article 67 of Indian Constitution deals with the Election of Vice- President.
Vice president of India is elected by the members of an electoral college consisting of the members of both House of Parliament.
=> It consists of both elected and nominated members of the parliament.
=> It does not include the members of the State Legislative Assemblies.
Qualification of Vice President
To be eligible for election as Vice President, A person should fulfill the following Qualification.
=> Should be a citizen of India
=> He should have completed 35 years of Age.
=> He should be qualified for election as a member of Rajya Sabha.
=> He should not hold any office of profit under the Union Government or any State Government.
The Oath for the office of Vice President of India is Administered by the President or Some person Appointed by in that behalf by him.
=> Article 69 of Indian Constitution deals with Oath or affirmation by the Vice-president.
Term of Office=>Article 67 of Indian Constitution deals with the term of office of Vice President.
=>The Vice President of India holds office for the term of five years.
=>He can resign the office at any time by addressing the resignation letter to the President.
=>He can also be removed by the resolution of the Rajya Sabha passed by an Absolute Majority. and agreed to by the Lak Sabha.
=> He may be elected for any number of terms and eligible for the re-election to that office.
Power & Function of Vice President=> He acts as the ex-officio chairman of the Rajya Sabha.
=> He acts as president when a vacancy occurs in the office of President due to his resignation, removal, death or otherwise, he can act as president only for 6 months within which a new president is elected.
List of Vice President of India
Vice President of India list till now is given below in table.
Vice President -> Took office -> Left office -> Important Points
- Saravpalli Radhakrishan (13 May 1952 – 12 May 1962) -> 1st Vice President of India for two Times.
- Dr. Zakir Hussain (13 May 1962 – 12 May 1967) -> President of India to die in Office.
- V. V. Giri (31 August 1967 – 3 May, 1969) -> On the death of Dr. Zakir Hussain , he became President of India.
- Gopal Swarup Pathak (31 August 1969 – 30 August 1974) -> He was the 1st Indian Vice President not to succeed his superior as president.
- Basappa Danappa Jatti (1 September 1974 – 25 July 1979) -> Founder of “Basava Smithi”(Religious Organisation).
- M. Hidayatullah (31 August 1979 – 30 August 1984) -> 11th Chief Justice of India and he served as the President of India after the resignation of V.V. Giri.
- R. Venkataraman (31 August 1984 – 30 August 1987) -> Member of constituent Assembly and the provisional Cabinet.
- Shankar Dayal Sharma (3 September 1987 – 24 July 1992) -> CM of Bhopal, member of INC,Communication minister.
- K.R. Narayanan (21 August 1992 – 24 July 1997) -> The Best Diplomat of country.
- Krishan Kant (21 August 1997 – 24 July 2002) -> 1st Vice President to Die in Office.
- Bhairon Singh Shekhawat (18 August 2002 – 21 July 2007) -> Served CM of Rajasthan three times. Started the “Antyoday Scheme”.
- M. Hamid Ansari (10 August 2007 – 10 August 2017) -> He was the 1st person to be re-elected as Vice President of India after S. Radhakrishan.
- Venkaiah Naidu (11 August 2017 – 11 August 2022) -> He was president of Bhartiya Janata Party from 1 July 2002 – 5 October 2004.
- Jagdeep Dhankar (11 August 2022 – Present) -> Current Vice President of India and Chairman of Rajya Sabha.
Download List of Vice President of India
All the best for your upcoming exam!
You can join or visit at or or for always keep in touch with further updates.
Read more articles….